Sunday 15 June 2008

Nikon D3


Nikon Conversion
Originally uploaded by steve.ashton7
As I have mentioned in a few earlier posts, Two months ago I changed my Canon system to a full nikon kit.

The main reason was the lack of a suitable reliable Canon replacement for my 1D and 1Ds bodies and also some less than good experiences with canon zoom lenses.

My intention was to write a short review on the Nikon D3 but so much has been said by others regarding this amazing camera. I can only add my own praise and say the Nikon D3 is in my opinion the best camera on the market at present.

I simply can't fault this camera. The main advantage I have found is as you would expect the fantastic high ISO performance I am happy to shoot images at 6400iso, in the past this was not an option. The way this has changed my photography is beyond belief. Situations which in the past were a problem are now easy to deal with.

Images from the D3 are so good I am finding post production time has been reduced by a large amount.

The other big advantage for me has been access to the superb new Nikkor lenses, the 14-24mm and the 24-70mm. These lenses are the best I have ever used and printed images just leap out at you. This has been a big plus point in my deciding to fully move over to Nikon.

If I need to be picky then I do find the D3 a very noisy camera in operation and the small AF selector lever is not best placed. But this is being picky in the extreme.

If you get the chance shoot with a D3 and the new 24-70mm F2.8 and I promise you will not want to give it back.

There seemed little point just re writing what has been said about this camera, but if you do have any questions please drop me a line I will be more than happy to help if I can.

In the meantime I am enjoying my photography more than ever before in no small part due to the Nikon D3. As a long time Nikon user I was never happy moving away from the system its now fantastic to be back on the dark side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the dark side. Your images are amazing.